cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors contrib.additional.sgml

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Jun 8 22:47:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> > > Personally, I don't like these nicknames in the contributors list. I
> > > think having contributed to FreeBSD is a virtue one can be proud of so
> > > there's no need to hide the real names. Imho, we should ask for real
> > > names in these cases and shouldn't add entries with nicknames if the
> > > submitter doesn't respond. What do you think?
> >
> > Yes, this makes sense.  I think one should be proud for every one of
> > their contributions to FreeBSD, so listing real names sounds like a
> > Good Thing.
> >
> [...]
>
> Well, we cannot force people to give their "real" name if they don't
> want to.  Everyone is free to choose and everyone can have his own
> reasons.  Refusing to give credits or to add someone to the contributors
> list cause he prefers to not give his real name will not give a positive
> image of the project.
> On the other hand, what are we calling a "real name"?  Something that
> looks like a "person name"?  It can be a fake...

I don't understand this practice.  For years, I've assigned a high
SPAM score to mail from people who don't appear to be using a real
name.[1]  When I added the filters, the affected senders were
mostly adolescents and others who hid their real names because
they had only objectionable things to say.  Has anything changed
in the last few years?  Are there any governments that suppress
communication relating to free software?

[1] Mainly these are names that are iNaPpRoPrIaTeLy capitalized;
contain 3mbedded numbers; violate orthographc rules about which
letters may be adjacent or repeated; and so forth.