shell script port

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue Jun 2 16:19:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 05:27:50PM +0200, Stefan Miklosovic wrote:

> hi
>
> i am writing a script which is written in bash. this program is about
> automatic backuping of chosen users files periodicaly in more complex way.
> this portion of scripts are concerned also about group user's adding /
> modification / deleting. I do not already know how complex that program will
> be, but i would like to know, if i have a chance to port that software to
> port tree of freebsd.

If your application is a bash script, then it would be fairly easy to
write a FreeBSD ports Makefile for it and port it.

> I know it will be hard as hell, but, is it possible?

Hard: not that hard but requires you to do some reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

> i think that writing such thing in compiled language is useless unless i am
> able to do so in a many times easier way.

Compiled languages are generally slow to develop in compared to
scripts :(

> Will be a "script" port regular?

Yeah. Look at:

/usr/ports/www/youtube_dl/Makefile

It's a python script but inspection of the Makefile shows that it's
fairly easy to port.

If you don't fancy porting it yourself, I'd be happy to have a go at
porting it for you.

I want to port a more complex piece of software to FreeBSD but I
wouldn't mind starting on a simple port first so as to familiarise
myself with the porting process.

> thank you

Regards,

--