[FreeBSD-Announce] BSD Router Project (bsdrp)

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Mon Jul 6 15:24:01 UTC 2009

[Original posting on FreeBSD-announce; discussion re-routed ;-) to
FreeBSD-chat so as not to clutter the announcement list.]

This looks great. We've been doing something similar, internally,
for our own ISP.

It's good that bsdrp's primary purpose is not to be a firewall;
however good network administration demands that there be
provisions for policy routing, traffic shaping, traffic
prioritization, and gathering of traffic statistics -- things that
are usually implemented via firewall software because it's handy to
do so. (These features aren't readily accessible in simple
GUI-based end user firewalls like m0n0wall or pfsense, but are all
do-able on the ruleset level using IPFW2.) Are there provisions for
this? The docs are a bit lean so far, so it is hard to tell.

--Brett Glass