PGP chain of trust tools

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 20 22:45:38 PST 2009

If memory serves me right, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am looking for a way to count the "degrees of separation" or shortest
> path between public PGP keys.
>
> Any tools or libraries I should look at?

Not sure how directly applicable this is, but it sounds like you want
something like this:

http://pgp.cs.uu.nl/

> I am researching to see if it would be useful for allowing mail (default
> deny stance / guilty-until-proven-innocent since most mail is unwanted) if
> the sender's signature is within 2 or 3 hops from recipient. Or scoring
> the mail up based on the lowest hops.
>
> Anyone know of anything like this? Any research? How far can this scale?
>
> (I now see a spamassassin plugin but doesn't score based on hops away.)

Interesting idea.  For me personally, this probably would not work
because the vast majority of people I correspond with don't PGP-sign
their email (or, for that matter, even have PGP keys).

Bruce.