which port for this job?

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Wed Dec 16 10:00:44 PST 2009

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I need to block out a mildly complex OO diagram, and I wanted to get a
>> suggestion for what ports selection might be best.
>
> inkscape if you want something point'n'click to draw with.
>
> graphviz if you hate the idea of point'n'click.

Well, actually, I'm after a UML designer, but it has some special needs for me:
it has to understand python's arch (not just java, as most do).  I've found a
couple that go that far, but unbelieveably enough, they won't print...
klassmodeler was a big disappointment like that.  Dia actually printed it's
output, but the authors were so proud of their ability to print huge mosaics
made up of bunches of 8.5x11 sheets that they offer no options to get it all
into one sheet, even when it s just not all that complicated.  Gaphor llikes to
coredump, and won't print at all.  Argouml doesn't seem to know about python,
and it's descendant, poseidon, forces you to buy the "professional" model to get
python.

Chris Floess suggested Violet or umbrello.  umbrello needs kdesdk4, which seems
to be in some kind of trouble (it's port is out of sync, version-wise, with
other kde4 ports.  I can't find tjhe Violet port yet, but I'm looking.

If you  have any other ideas (and NOT for simple graphics programs) then I'd
really appreciate a hint.  I wasted a huge amount of time getting my kde4 up to
date, only to find that kdesdk4 (which has umbrello) wouldn't build.