Google Chrome

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at bogen.in-berlin.de
Tue Sep 9 08:27:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Google Chrome is open source.  If you're really worried that it might be
> secretly collecting data about you and sending it to Google ..

I just double-checked the thread, I could not see someone mentioning it:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are
sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or
URLs you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with
Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send
that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as
explained here.

If I read it correctly:

_Every_ time you type into your ('conveniently' combined) URL/search
field, it gets immediately send to Google.

In other words: Google can record your webbrowsing.

And it is the default, not something you enable explicitly.

Well, some consolidation: you _can_ disable it.

Regards
Peter