Google Chrome

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Sep 8 01:45:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 05:43:10PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> You have to remember that Doubleclick has been surreptitiously
> collecting data on Internet users for many years....

Some more than others, I expect:

g1-30(6.3-S)[4] host doubleclick.com
doubleclick.com has address 127.0.0.1
g1-30(6.3-S)[5] host \*.doubleclick.com
*.doubleclick.com has address 127.0.0.1
g1-30(6.3-S)[6]

(My internal resolvers have a file that lists domains where:
* they are configured to be masters for the domains in question and
* everything resolves to 127.0.0.1.
It does clutter the Apache error log a bit, but otherwise tends to speed
page loading, as long as one doesn't object too strongly to 404 messages
in place of ads.)

It's not elegant -- indeed, it's rather more like blunt force --
but it is something I find useful and having been worth the effort
(so far).  I expect that Doubleclick (and similar enterprises) may
find it less so, were the practice to become sufficiently common.

Peace,
david   (who doesn't use Gmail, either)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.