Great webcasts from Berkeley

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 7 23:09:28 UTC 2008

If memory serves me right, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:39 AM, ktu <ktullavik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Berkeley  university is making publicly available webcasts from many of
>> their courses.
>>
>> I found this course, CS 61C Machine Structures, to be incredibly good, and
>> thought I'd share the link:
>> http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978500
>
> CS61C at Berkeley is indeed a really great class.  David Patterson,
> past president of the ACM, is also a frequent instructor for this
> course.  This was one of the best courses I took in my undergraduate
> education.

I took the equivalent of 61C when I was an undergrad at Berkeley (it was
called 60B then, and people can probably figure out something about how
old I am from that), and this was a darned good class, from which I
learned a lot.  I was lucky to take it from Patterson, but there are
many other good teachers on the CS faculty.

I actually know the instructor who taught 61C on the webcast...we were
in grad school at the same time.  I never saw him teach a course before,
but he's a heck of a good guy.

Another excellent CS class at Cal is 61A (used to be 60A when I took
it), which is also available in the webcast series.  Most CS and EECS
majors took it as their first CS class, and it was a real eye-opener for
those who were used to working only in "traditional" programming
languages like C, etc.  Watching the webcast is kind of a trip because I
took it from the same professor in the same lecture hall.

Go Bears!

Bruce.