Google Chrome

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 09:00:51 UTC 2008

jef moskot wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> The big selling point of this browser is the performance of its
>> Javascript engine compared to other existing browsers.  Javascript is
>> what is used to run the client side of "web applications"...like
>> Google Docs, and other Google applications.
>>
>> Pushing the development of Javascript is directly tied to google's
>> ability to launch more complex web-based applications in the future.
>
> Yes, and why are they doing THAT?

To make money by increasing their market share in existing markets,
developing new markets and directly or indirectly funneling more users
into their ads and other revenue sources.  If you look at what google
has done over the past 5 years, they're about much more than indexing
data thesedays.

Kris

P.S. Full disclosure: I'm soon to start work there.