The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 08:08:48 PDT 2008

--- Robert Joosten <robert at ml.erje.net> wrote:

> Hi Unga,
>
> > Is there a 2nd edition coming soon?
>
> Third iirc. ISBN 0201549794 was the first, although
> with a slightly
> different name.

Hi all

Latest of this series of book is what I mentioned in
my first post:

The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating
System
ISBN-10: 0-201-70245-2
Addison Wesley Professional

It won't make much sense to argue which one is the
first edition or what's the edition number of the
above ISBN.

The issue is, the *only* comprehensive book on the
design and the implementation of the FreeBSD kernel is
published on Aug 2, 2004 covering then FreeBSD 5.2,
and now nearly four years gone and the FreeBSD is
evolved to 7.0/8.0.

Since now it is understood the book does not represent
accurately the latest development of the FreeBSD, what
is now required is an addendum to the book either on
online or otherwise.

I would like to propose to the FreeBSD community to
get such an addendum developed by Dr. Marshall Kirk
McKusick. What we need is a sponsor to cover the
costs.

The FreeBSD foundation raised over USD 400,000/- for
year 2007. Possibly FreeBSD foundation could come to
help or FreeBSD foundation could help to find another
sponsor. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Kind regards
Unga

PS: Very sorry for posting to multiple mailing lists,
I even learned empirically following the post is not
easy when posts to multiple mailing lists.