Newbie Question - about newbie user support

Passive PROFITS passiveprofits at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 22:55:48 PDT 2008

--- christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, from the mass of replies you've gotten,

Isn't it nice though!? ...  As I said, I wasn't sure
if my 'hello'  would disappear never to be heard of
again, or only elicit 'Go away - we're busy'!! LOL

As it is, apart from a what seems to be a small
misunderstanding which has arisen due to my own
ignorance, I feel duly welcomed by the community!

> would
> say I may be a little late here, but I just wanted
> offer a little bit.

Thanks.

> I like FreeBSD it's great, and I too, like someone
> else on this list went straight from Windows to]
> FreeBSD. It was a steep learning curve, but well
> worth it, more so even than my work with Linux.

I must admit I had a laugh last night (before I passed
out early too tired to try an install!) ... When I saw
the London group's website which mentions what seems
to connect all BSD users is that they 'like steep
learning curves!'. :)  The laugh came as I'm yet to
find out if that is like steep, which I like, or
impossibly steep, which is going to frustrate me.

> My main suggestion about learning would be to
> subscribe to user group mailing lists. They tend
> not to be as high volume as freebsd-questions, and
> I've really had a lot of luck with my main list, a
> Tucson, AZ, USA, unix group. They have people of
> all flavors on there, and it gives me access to
> non-freebsd specific resources as well. I solve
> a lot of FreeBSD issues by searching linux archives.

Right.  That's interesting to know.  I (still) haven't
really got my head around the way BSD is similar and
different to Linux.  I keep hearing they are both
Unix-like, but of course, that means nothing to me,
really, yet (though I have some vague sense that
'Unix' is something to do with mainframes, or some
such?)!

> I also subscribe to specific lists as well, one
> for gimp, fvwm, mplayer, and a hand full of others.

I do that too for the things I'm interested in.  I
tend to veer more towards smaller and low(er) volume
lists though, by default.  The days of enjoying 400
emails coming in every hour are long gone!  I am
finding it a bit too much just to hang in on the
Ubuntu desktop list, especially when it's actually the
server list I need to get onto, ...  I need to get
back into building some decent mail filtering rules,
methinks! :(

> Maybe there are some for firewalling, who knows. At
> first those tend to be awfully technical, but as
> time has passed, more of the stuff makes sense to
> me and it keeps in touch with issues that I may
> not have now, but will eventually.

That's about where I am with the SSL list, which I
joined some time ago but continue to not even
understand, in terms of just the questions, never mind
the answers ...  But it's really nice to be able to
wire yourself into such places, in the hope that one
day, the gray cells may just work out something! <gg>

> Good luck.

Thanks Christopher! :)

PP