Newbie Question - about newbie user support

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:35:34 PDT 2008

Well, from the mass of replies you've gotten, I would
say I may be a little late here, but I just wanted to
offer a little bit.

I like FreeBSD it's great, and I too, like someone
else on this list went straight from Windows to]
FreeBSD. It was a steep learning curve, but well
worth it, more so even than my work with Linux.

My main suggestion about learning would be to
subscribe to user group mailing lists. They tend
not to be as high volume as freebsd-questions, and
I've really had a lot of luck with my main list, a
Tucson, AZ, USA, unix group. They have people of
all flavors on there, and it gives me access to
non-freebsd specific resources as well. I solve
a lot of FreeBSD issues by searching linux archives.

I also subscribe to specific lists as well, one
for gimp, fvwm, mplayer, and a hand full of others.
Maybe there are some for firewalling, who knows. At
first those tend to be awfully technical, but as
time has passed, more of the stuff makes sense to
me and it keeps in touch with issues that I may
not have now, but will eventually. Good luck.

christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>