Newbie Question - about newbie user support

Passive PROFITS passiveprofits at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 09:00:16 PDT 2008

--- David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:15:30AM -0700, Passive
> PROFITS wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > First post to any FreeBSD list; be gentle! ;)
> >
> > Where would be the right place to go looking to
> > subscribe to a newbie level user-support list?
> > Perhaps rephrased 'complete newbie user support
> list'
> > ... LOL
>
> We used to have a freebsd-newbies list, but folks
> tended to use it for
> posts that ought to have gone to freebsd-questions,
> with a resulting bit
> of confusion.
>
> At this point, freebsd-questions is my
> recommendation for a default
> place to post questions about FreeBSD and using it;

Thanks for this confirmation.  It only seems obvious
when you already know the answer! <g>

> perhaps we should
> consider re-wording the "charter" for -questions to
> be less
> intimidating.

I think you should.  This has been my second visit up
there.  I would likely have tried an install before
now, if I'd have thought there be some user support
available in 'them thar hills' (sic).  As it was, I
just decided to go for it anyway, whether there was
any user support, or just the manual!  I guess I'm not
a 'normie', though a 'newbie'! <g>  It was that people
might not realise this perception that I thought to
post mine; you only get a chance at a first impression
once, and mine was of the variety "P*ss off - unless
you already know what you are talking about".  Not
friendly, which is quite apposite when considering
just how many kind, helpful and friendly responses my
first post to this list has engendered!  Just a FWIW,
anyway.

> Naturally, you should be prepared to redirect a
> message thread to a more
> appropriate (likely, more focused) list -- e.g., if
> you have a question
> about a specific use of IPFW, the freebsd-ipfw list
> wouold likely be
> better than -questions.

OK - got it.

> One suggestion:  read through archived posts before
> you post.  You may
> well find what you need without needing to post at
> all.

OK - got it! ;)

> Peace,
> david   (postmaster, but not really wearing that hat
> now)

Nice to meet you! :)

Best,

PP