on content versus presentation [ was: Re: Why the FreeBSD license will not be changing ]

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 14 18:59:49 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, spellberg_robert wrote:

> now, mr. ross, above, appears to prefer that
>  freebsd behave similarly to microsoft and apple,
>  but, without actually being microsoft or apple.

I am not sure whether you understand it here.

As my personal computers were dual-boot, because they came with Windows
and you never know.. in fact I rarely used the Windows partition.

Main reason: lack of beauty.

Since 1995, when I had to administrate a uni network with Nextstep
(amongst other systems), I enjoyed to have the freedom of choice not to
use Windows.

(To be honest, Apples are okay but it is not that elegant and clear as
Nextstep was, I do not like GUIs grabbing my attention and distracting
me).

I am writing this on a Edubuntu desktop that goes into a school next week.
I hope that the kids enjoy this as I do.

The desktop looks nearly as my FreeBSD laptop so it is good to have the
choice to give them more or less the same (and if needed with a working
flush-plugin;-)

At work I am administrating web servers at the moment, the requirements
are slightly different;-) And everyone who has to administrate Red Hat
servers as I have to do at the moment, and knows FreeBSD, stumbles across
situations where you just wish to have a FreeBSD server.. and I am
thankful when having a well-designed operation system that supports my
needs, as FreeBSD does.

While I am running my desktop with FreeBSD more or less "for fun", as a
proof of concept, a bit of advocacy amongst my colleagues too,

the German BSD forum was interesting because it shows real interest in
running FreeBSD desktops, as the PC-BSD shows as well.

I am not asking you to cater for it, you have the freedom of choice to put
your efforts in the parts you are interested in:-)

I just wanted to make the community aware that there are people serious
about desktop usage. So the FreeBSD project may consider it when making
decisions.

(Besides the forum is in another language so "invisible" outside Germany.
As a German living in Australia I realize sometimes how people tend to
interpolate from their own experience and generalize it. Often "Western
world" or even "world" as such stands for the part of the world that
speaks English or plays cricket and rugby;-) So people may overlook
developments outside of it).

Regards
Peter