Stop Adobe Flash Petition

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Thu Jun 26 11:28:50 UTC 2008

Quoting Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net>:

> Sign it here:
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/0034655a/petition.html
>
> The number of Adobe Flash sites are growing, and an increasing
> amount of sites will simply cease to function when Flash is disabled
> or unavailable.
>
> I would like to call to all web developers to (re)consider their use
> of Flash, while it does have place on the web, it is often used in the
> wrong way, on the wrong place, in a badly implemented manner.
>
> Why I dislike flash:
>
> o It often adds little or nothing to a website, most things can often
> be achieved with either CSS or Javascript (or a combination) which
> suffer from much less problems.
>
> o Flash is not usable, for example it often breaks the back button,
> "find in page" does not work, setting font size does not work, and
> many more.
>
> o Browser settings such as font size, enabling/disabled sound in web
> pages etc. do not apply to flash, leaving the page's designer, not the
> user, in control of the browser.
>
> o Flash is not accessible, screen readers, braille displays etc. often
> have serious difficulty accessing flash pages.
>
> o Progressive enhancement is difficult to achieve with flash, unlike
> for example CSS or Javascript, flash is binary data which interacts
> poorly with HTML.
>
> o Flash is not supported on all operating systems, and only on a very
> limited set of architectures.
>
> o Flash is slow, if you do not have a new $1000 PC but a somewhat
> older "office PC" flash can be a serious performance hit.
>
> o There are a number of security issues with flash, and Adobe has
> never seemed to quick/concerned to fix them.
>
> o Animation is annoying, I want to access information, not watch a
> "cool" animation.
>
> Sincerely,
> The Undersigned

While I totally agree to the above statements, tell me the sense of an
online petition. Do you know a single petition that changed _anything_?
The petition is adressed "Web Designers". How should they get aware of
the petition?
You cannot change the internet with that. Every big commercial site
has flash. It's colorful, it's loud, it attracts the people to their
products. So you won't convince the webmaster of these sites to change.

Flash sucks but we can't avoid it. :-(