50 baud is dead

spellberg_robert emailrob at emailrob.com
Mon Jul 14 21:30:04 UTC 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:

>>>I guess you're out of luck then :(
>>
>>Or just try it at 75 and see if there's enough slop to read the 50 baud
>>data.
>
> There won't be, 50% is way too far off, I think (from experiments I did 30 years
> back) that about 12% is the limit, when I had access to the best regenerators.
> Regens don't even get used anymore.  I forget the actual limit I probed, but I
> know 1/2 over is way too far to go.
>
>>-Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

first, in very round numbers,
   you get about five per cent error in the bit_time
   for fifty per cent error in ten bits.
usually, there are three reads, all near the center of the bit_time.
so, ya gotta be kinda close.
two per cent leaves plenty of room for slop.

i have an inexpensive hardware solution.

if any one is interested, please respond off_list, unless
   you think it appropriate for -chat.

rob