I can't make world without the "games" group?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Aug 27 12:58:50 UTC 2008

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz> writes:
>> But FreeBSD might not be a car[1].  Maybe it's a piano.  And a piano
>> that can play just as beautifully, in tune, and even loudly (and yes,
>> that was the pianoforte's strong point in 1709) as any modern piano,
>
> Quite the opposite, the pianoforte's forte was its ability to play
> piano.
>
> DES

Well, I suppose that it could play any dynamics at all.  Clavs
and harpsichords weren't so good at it, but, also, if you banged
them as hard as some of the Romantics did, you'd have knocked them
to bits.

So, you're correct, in 1709, it was probably "piano" that was
noticeable, but by 1860, maybe the other way'round?  At any rate, thanks
for an excellent contribution to the thread, and a wonderful example
of the complexities of the English language (gotta love reading that
one out "forte" seven times quickly) :-)

Kevin Kinsey
--
... A booming voice says, Wrong, cretin!, and you notice that you
have turned into a pile of dust.