recommend a open protocol open source voice phone call client?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Aug 13 22:54:53 UTC 2008

Looking for an "open" protocol, open source voice phone client that works
without using Linux emulation -- and can work with more than two clients
in a conference call situation.

And having Windows and MacOS X clients is fine too. But client is not
needed as long as the protocol is standard for existing clients there too.

(I do have access to a Asterisk server, but I want to attempt this without
using a server. If that isn't doable, please let me know and I will then
use the Asterisk server.)

The goal is to get rid of proprietary Skype for BSD-focused conference
calls.

I don't know SIP or H.323 -- do these require a server or can multiple
clients connect to each other for a working conference phone call?

I don't need connections to real phone network.

What do you use? Any recommendations?

In ports, I see: cphone, kphone, linphone, ohphone, ekiga, kiax.

I also read about PhoneGaim, tkphone, KCall, SFLPhone, wengophone,
and Twinkle. So many choices, need to know where to begin.

Any pointers to URLs on experiences on FreeBSD would be great.

Thanks!