Creating your own livecd iso

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Sep 21 16:45:07 PDT 2007

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2007 at 10:28, Benjamin Adams wrote:
>
> > Anyone know where I can read about creating my own BSD livecd?
> > I have a laptop partition that is about 1G that I want to turn into a
> > LiveDVD.  It has some networking tools for testing and debugging.  I would
> > rather have just a dvd to boot from rather then carring around my laptop.
>
> I recommend FreeSBIE.  http://www.freesbie.org/
>
> --
> Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
> Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

With the recent changes to /boot/cdboot FreeSBIE is almost irrevelent.
I just got done stripping it out of a project for work, it's build
process is complicated and overkill for a lot of projects.

You can create a perfectly usable live-cd by doing:

make installkernel installworld distribution DESTDIR=/some/dir
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen && make install DESTDIR=/some/dir
cd /some/dir
mkisofs -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -R -U -V Uberl33t -p Uberl33t \
    -o /usr/wherever/Uberl33t.iso .

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel