freebsdmall.com prices

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 13 05:32:19 PDT 2007

deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
 > I've just looked at the prices at www.freebsdmall.com, and found that they are
 > overwhelming. A full FreeBSD release costs like 40$. 40$?! HOLY SHIT! Who would
 > buy it for that much money when you can download it for free?

I don't know in which part of the world you live, but not
everybody on this planet has a hyper fast DSL, satelite,
cable, T1, whatever internet connection with a flatrate.

There are still quite many people with slower modem or
ISDN uplinks or similar who don't want to cram their lines
for several days to download an ISO image.  Or they don't
want to pay the price if they pay by volume or by time.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that FreeBSD Mall
is not the only shop that sells FreeBSD media.  Just for
example, in Germany the Lehmanns book shop sells FreeBSD
DVDs (that's 8 GB worth of data) for 9.95 Euro which is
about 14 US dollars.  Subscriptions are even 15% less.
http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=3865411886

If you think something is worth buying, then buy it.
Otherwise don't buy it.  It's that simple.  If nobody
buys a product, the vendor will either have to change
it (value/price) or stop offering it.  Since FreeBSD
Mall doesn't seem to change or stop, I assume that
there are sufficiently many people buying from them.

Best regards
   Oliver