freebsdmall.com prices

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:44:24 PDT 2007

Darren Pilgrim wrote:
 > I have multiple subscriptions, one going all the way back to 3.2 and
 > most since mid-4.x.
 >
 > Actually shipping is $4.95 on top of the purchase cost, IIRC.  But then,
 > you do get pressed CDs instead of sticker-labeled CDR crap like certain
 > other software shippers.  And stickers!  Don't forget the stickers!  I
 > got bored one day and cut out and stuck little beastie heads on the
 > penguin logos on my friend's business's server farm.  Had I not bought
 > all those FreeBSD CD sets over the years, I'd have run short on beastie
 > heads and my dastardly plan would have been foiled!

You mean they even charge $5 on top of that 40?
I don't see the reason why you require such high quality media and the included
little prizes. Care to buy a 1000 sticker pack instead? It's not like my own CDR
is going to turn on me. They're durable enough.

 >> Either way, I think it is still more financially efficient if users
 >> download a copy and donate like 35$ via some online method.
 >
 > You mean like download the ISOs at ftp.freebsd.org, then hop over to
 > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/ and send the Foundation your
 > $35 via check/MO/Paypal?

Yes. And maybe $5 to the Mall.

Matt Olander wrote:
 > In fact, one of the core team members, Murray Stokely, is on the FreeBSD
 > Mall payroll. Also, in the past few months alone, we've donated over
 > $20k USD in modern server hardware for FreeBSD development, made
 > possible in part due to the revenue generated by the mall. The FreeBSD
 > Mall also provides us with merchandise that we use to promote FreeBSD at
 > trade shows that we attend at a cost of several thousand dollars per show.
 >
 > I think the $40 dollars for the professionally packaged 4 CD set is not
 > only an inexpensive investment for a little piece of internet history
 > for each FreeBSD release, but it is also a tremendous help offsetting a
 > portion of the costs for our advocacy and hardware support efforts for
 > the FreeBSD Project.

Hi Matt, I'm wondering how many people are behind the Mall, what the order
statistics are, and how much the income is. If the Mall is just a secondary job,
and you donate a considerable excess amount, then I have to respect, but also
criticize that. The good thing is about *you* supporting the Project, is that
*you* can chose what parts of development to encourage. If you donate raw cash,
they will spend it on ice cream ;), if you donate a piece of hardware, they will
utilize that thing for testing, which is good if your company relies heavily on
FreeBSD driver efficiency and stability for that type of piece. However, if you
really encourage advertising FreeBSD, you should make promo stuff as cheap as
possible.

Dan Langille wrote:
 > On 3 Sep 2007 at 13:48, deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
 >> OK, even if it is, I think there would be more income, if there were a
 >> reasonable price. Or does mailing a 4 CD set or a DVD really cost that
 >> much money?!
 >
 > Try it.  See how cheaply you can produce something of a similar
 > quality release after release.  Go for it.

I'm an individual, but alright. I'll have to look up info about disc
manufacturers, renting or buying disc pressing machines, and postage fees in my
area. The I'll have to estimate the profit of one working hour, if I were
selling at the same prices. If it's more than enough, I could sell for lower
prices. Then to consider other products too.