freebsdmall.com prices

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:48:55 PDT 2007

I've just looked at the prices at www.freebsdmall.com, and found that they are
overwhelming. A full FreeBSD release costs like 40$. 40$?! HOLY SHIT! Who would
buy it for that much money when you can download it for free? Now you might
think that giving 40$ is a great way for supporting the project. But is
freebsdmall associated with the core team in any way? OK, even if it is, I think
there would be more income, if there were a reasonable price. Or does mailing a
4 CD set or a DVD really cost that much money?! Either way, I think it is still
more financially efficient if users download a copy and donate like 35$ via some
online method. Don't give me wrong. Of course there are people without online
access or CD/DVD burners, but those are rare case exceptions. Am I wrong? Is it
not how this thing works? Are lots of people really buying freebsdmall products
keenly/willingly every time for some reason?