Mailer Error Messages

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Wed Oct 31 00:30:11 PDT 2007

This is just a short little complaint.  Could we please make mail
exchange error messages just a little more understandable?  For the rare
occurrences where I actually get a legit non-spam induced bounce it
would be nice to be able to quickly discern what happened.

1 - Don't use pronouns.  "This domain is is blacklisted."  Oh I see it
was "THIS" domain that was blacklisted.  That clears things up.  Contact
the postmaster?  Oh I see "THE" postmaster.

2 - Say what you mean to say.
<example at example.com>
Actually, the address probably didn't have any errors. It was probably
some sort of anti-spam in play.

3 - Use complete sentences. Please include a subject and verb PLUS the
reason why there is an error. "server.foo.com rejected server.bar.com
for reason." "There is no mailbox suchandsuch at server.foo.com."

(now I must wonder what sort of default sillyness my server spews to
everyone else when every variety of spam malfeasance reflects of my MX)

I used to think that running my own MX was neat.  Now I am starting to
think that this is the realm of wizards.  Can mere mortals use the
internet without ceaselessly battling with asshats?  The fight is all
gone out of me.

Later,
Jason