viral license free fork of freebsd

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Oct 5 07:12:10 PDT 2007

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 05:03:08AM +0000, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > I am intrested in putting together a version of FreeBSD (at least the
> > non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not
> > techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... where would be a
> > good starting point on this project?

It has been discussed on this list many times.

Find or code replacements.

Look in the src/gnu directory.

bc	OpenBSD, another from NetBSD developer (replace his GPL version)
binutils	http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDBintools
cc	pcc (and others)
cpio	many replacements available, like bsdcpio(1) using libarchive
csu	?
cvs	see OpenBSD
dc	2 replacements available: OpenBSD and from NetBSD developer
dialog	http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/misc/freedialog.html
diff	see OpenBSD and others
diff3	see OpenBSD and others
gdb	see OpenBSD and others for debugger alternatives
gperf	?
grep	NetBSD, OpenBSD
groff	see MirBSD and from ragge
libdialog	see above
libgcc	?
libgcov	?
libgomp	?
libreadline	editline
libregex	don't use it, don't use GNU gdb, cvs, diff, and grep.
man	NetBSD, OpenBSD
patch	NetBSD, OpenBSD
rcs	OpenBSD
sdiff	NetBSD, OpenBSD
send-pr OpenBSD (sendbug)
sort	NetBSD, OpenBSD
texinfo	Get rid of its usage and move to ports only

  Jeremy C. Reed