6.3 Pre-Release

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Nov 28 04:32:51 PST 2007

soralx at cydem.org wrote:
 > > > What is the CVS tag for 6[.2]-STABLE then?
 > > Hi, I think that the tag for 6.2 is RELENG_6, revise handbook.
 >
 > nope, 'src-all tag=RELENG_6' with cvsup updated everything to
 > 6.3-PRERELEASE...

All of that is explained in the handbook.

The cvs tag of 6.2-RELEASE is RELENG_6_2_0_RELEASE.
It never changes, so it doesn't make sense to update
to it once you have it.

The cvs tag of the 6.2 security branch (sometimes
referred to as "6.2-stable", although this is a rather
confusing name) is RELENG_6_2.  It does mainly include
security fixes only, but no bug fixes (except maybe
very critical ones), and no new features.

The cvs tag of the stable branch ("6-stable") is
RELENG_6.  It includes all bug fixes and new stuff
merged from -current.  When ever a new release is made,
a new security "sub-branch" is created off the stable
branch.

If you followed -stable so far (i.e. RELENG_6), I suggest
you continue to do so, especially if you don't have any
problems so far.  Just wait for 6.3-Release to become
available, and then you can decide whether you stay with
the 6.3 security branch (which will be RELENG_6_3) or
continue to track 6-stable, or even jump on the FreeBSD 7
train.

Going back to the 6.2 security branch would be a step
backwards.  Don't do that unless you have problems that
would be fixed by that step.

Best regards
   Oliver

"When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb."
        -- Steve Haflich, in comp.lang.c++