who wrote this

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Mon Nov 26 18:48:43 PST 2007

> > I can understand your point that you'd like the reference to be less
> > specific ("don't put something in the offensive list because you
> > find the source offensive"), but at this point the motivation still
> > seems to be "I'm scared of reading 'Hitler'", and because of that I
> > am opposed to changing the page. Quite frankly, the man's been dead
> > for over fifty years. I think we can safely mention his name with
> > reasonable assurance that he won't jump out of a dark alley and
> > boogeyman us to death.
>
> This thread really has nothing to do with being scared of reading
> 'Hitler'. The point is that folks could visit FreeBSD's website,
> reading "ah, so Hitler is not offensive". Some folks would agree,
> some would disagree. Why would you like to polarize in the first
> place? Second point is, that Hitler is a politicial historical
> person. FreeBSD has nothing to do with politics or history, so come
> on and delete that bloody name of the website. It can't be that hard,
> eh?

All right.

"This thread really has nothing to do with being scared of reading
'emacs'. The point is that folks could visit FreeBSD's website,
reading "ah, so emacs is not offensive". Some folks would agree, some
would disagree. Why would you like to polarize in the first place?"

The point missed was that the example warns those with an itch to stick
Hitler's quotes or emacs jokes into an offensive list to reconsider
contributing to the fortunes. This kind of thinking in rather absolute
terms is not so compatible with FreeBSD's philosophy of 'free', meaning
in this context 'unbiased'.

The concrete example used is there for a reason. Read the whole page,
especially near the end. Not all the fortunes have nothing to do with
history, don't they?

> Regards,
> Marian

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2