who wrote this

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Mon Nov 26 09:43:05 PST 2007

Written by eBoundHost: Artur on 11/26/07 11:23>>
>> I can understand your point that you'd like the reference to be less
>> specific ("don't put something in the offensive list because you find
>> the source offensive"), but at this point the motivation still seems to
>> be "I'm scared of reading 'Hitler'", and because of that I am opposed to
>> changing the page. Quite frankly, the man's been dead for over fifty
>> years. I think we can safely mention his name with reasonable assurance
>> that he won't jump out of a dark alley and boogeyman us to death.
>
> You're missing the point.  This is about the fact that this content is
> not appropriate for the page its listed on, not about any kind of
> hitlerphobia. If there was an explanation that we're all for freedom of
> voice and  that even hitlers quotes will be acceptable, that would be
> fine.  but instead all we have is that "exceptable content:  - hitlers
> quotes"  no explanation, no commentary.

I'm not missing the point, and you're reversing the condition on the
page to support your own viewpoint. The page does not say "Hitler quotes
are acceptable". It says that "Hitler quotes" do not inherently belong
in the offensive list. Hitler quotes are an example of an abuse of the
offensive list that, like the emacs/vi jokes reference on the page, has
been actually brought up in the past. If you read the final sentence on
the page, "Additional examples will be added to the offensive and
unoffensive lists above, as guidelines, whenever core@ is required to
settle a dispute on this issue.", you would be able to deduce this for
yourself.