Mailing lists via NNTP gateway (was Re: top posting (off-topic))

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Nov 23 09:04:40 PST 2007

Angel Martin Alganza wrote:
 > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 12:12:32PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > In fact, I do read the FreeBSD mailing lists via an NNTP
 > > gateway which stores them as news groups.  I'm using a
 >
 > That really great!
 >
 > Is it a public gateway?  Could you please let me know how to access
 > it (which newsgroup and news server is it?

I'm sorry, it's a non-public gateway that I'm running on
one of my company's server.

But I've just had a look at the newsgroup list of the
usenet server that I'm using.  It contains a bunch of
newsgroups named like the freebsd mailing lists, so I
assume that these are coming from public gateways.
They're probably one-way (i.e. read-only), i.e. you'd
have to mail directly to the list if you want to reply.
(It's also possible that they have a moderator script
that feeds news postings back to the mailing lists,
but I haven't tried that.)

These are the names of the newsgroups:

muc.lists.freebsd.*    (e.g. muc.lists.freebsd.chat)
sol.lists.freebsd.*    (e.g. sol.lists.freebsd.chat)

I assume those are two separate gateways.  Maybe your
usenet provider offers at least one of them.  If they
claim to have a "full feed", they should have both.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie