Any hope to have things requested by NVidia in FreeBSD-7?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:08:54 PST 2007

Kip Macy wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 2:16 PM, Remko Lodder <remko at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Yuri wrote:
>>
>>> I read long time ago that the reason that NVidia can't have their driver on
>>> 64-bit platform is that FreeBSD kernel lacks some functionality.
>>>
>>> Is this functionality present in 7.0? Or when to expect this to be done?
>>>
>>> I have NVidia card but still run 32-bit system because of lack of driver.
>>>
>>> Yuri
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This discussion gets over and over again actually, no the required
>> support is not yet there. There is a wiki page which denotes what
>> is required to get this going.
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests
>>
>> If you desperately need this, then consider funding someone
>> (this has popped up before, it's interesting to arrange something
>> like this because you need a trustable intermediating party that
>> can arrange this, the FreeBSD Foundation is currently not able
>> to do so as far as I can recall); who will do the work for you
>> or do it yourself.
>>
>> There is currently no other way to get the support you want.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> remko
>>

> Remko - relax :)
>
> The wiki isn't really an obvious place for people to look. If we don't
> already we should have a page on "popular hardware with support
> issues".
>
>  -Kip

    Can't there be something added such as an easy to search for FAQ so
this topic doesn't come up 2-7 times per month? I know people should use
a search engine and search for the information first, but people seem
extremely lazy and always ask current@, hackers@, and questions@,
amongst other lists I'm sure..
Thanks,
-Garrett