loader and "Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor"

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Nov 16 11:13:19 PST 2007

Trying to boot PC-BSD 1.4.1 and I get:

CD Loader 1.2
Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Read error: 0x10
Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor

I find this discussed a lot, but haven't found a solution yet.

My BIOS is K7VM2 for ASRock
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7VM2

I started with version P1.30 and now I updated to 1.90 (dated 9/5/2003).

(I have no floppy. So I downloaded freedos ISO image, mounted it, copied
it, added the flash utility and new flash, made new iso and burned it. It
booted fine and I could update flash fine. My BIOS indicated it was new.)

But I continue to get the "Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor"
error.

I have tried with two different CD drives.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Or is it just not possible to boot with my
BIOS?

What about using a different boot manager? And then have it boot the CD?
Any suggestions on that?

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I may just try to boot it over the network... but I got to setup my
boot server for that.