what can i do with a 486?

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 23:34:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:33:33PM +0100, deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
> Yes that likely explains why the FreeBSD floppies dont work (but some linux
> versions work). When I install FreeBSD on a machine with 512MB RAM, then
> move the HDD, the BIOS boots with the "missing OS" error. Supposedly the
> installation has set the some LBA things (which the newer system perfectly
> supports). After the installation, how can I change that, before moving the
> drive?

The point has been made before in this thread, but you need to change
the way the NEW machine accesses the drive FROM LBA to CHS BEFORE you
install.

Your new system supports LBA. The old one doesn't, and its view of the
disk is very different. You must ensure that the disk "looks right"
before installation.

CHS addressing started to be a problem as soon as disks stopped actually
having a fixed number of sectors per track. IDE drives circumvented it
by lying to the BIOS about what they looked like. If you are really
unlucky, you will have to choose a compatible pair of lies.

--
Adrian Wontroba
Bugs, pl. n.: