what can i do with a 486?

Gray, David W David.W.Gray at nielsen.com
Mon Jan 22 15:29:05 UTC 2007

Ummm, nobody has mentioned it, but a more modren machine vs. a really
old bios -
the "No operating system" message is a classic sign of a geometry
mismatch - the
new BIOS is probably mapping the drive differently (since it undoubtedly
can handle
multi-gig drives vs 500M for the old BIOS.)

I have an old P166 at the house that acts as a firewall on the cable
net, has apache and
secure apache, a name server, print server, and for a while was the
server the family
logged in on. (We have a little IDOT to log in on nowadays.) Eventually
it's going away,
but it still does the job.