It's FRIDAY!

IDG Connect connect at mailer.idgconnect.com
Fri Jan 19 10:40:48 UTC 2007

<FRIDAY January, 19, 2007>

     Each Friday, we present a short list of the hottest whitepapers, webcasts and research available in the IDG Connect IT Knowledge Base. Information you can use to solve problems that crept-up during the week, and to prepare for the challenges you'll face in the days ahead. We also provide links to news stories you might have missed, plus facts, quotes and other forms of brain-candy. (Hint: The fun stuff is near the bottom, so don't forget to scroll.) Have a great weekend!

CA: IT Strategies for Better Business Results
Everything an IT pro needs to keep the suits happy.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/46/2976//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

St. Bernard Software: Fighting the Hidden Dangers of Internet Access
Mananging internet usage is no longer a choice for business, it's a necessity.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/46/3403//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

Novell: The Lean Data Center: Eliminate wasted IT dollars with Linux and Virtualization
Reduce costs, increase utilization. It's a good thing...
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/7/3388//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

AT&T: Key Elements to an Effective Business Continuity Plan
To make sure your business keeps on ticking when disaster strikes, you need a plan. A good plan.
http://clk.atdmt.com/ATA/go/dgxxge070010000019ata/direct/01/

HP: Windows on Integrity Servers
If you run mission-critical business apps on Windows, you need a strong server.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/46/3471//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

IBM: PureXML: Powered Solutions for Real World Problems
Learn how you can leverage DB2 pureXML technology to build XML rich applications.
http://www.bulldogsolutions.net/IBMDB2/IBD12062006/frmRegistration.aspx?bdls=8369

Dell: The Great Virtualization Migration
Get the most from the servers you already own.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/46/3116//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

Interwoven: Application Insight - Automated Validation and Auditing
The only way to avoid the consequences of unintended change is to eliminate it.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/10/3274//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

BlueArc: Nine Steps to Effective Networked Unified Storage Consolidation
Avoid all the big "gotchas" as you consolidate storage.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/11/3207//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

SafeNet: Third-Party License Management: A Path to Lower Costs and Higher Returns
Simplifing the task of managing software licenses in a virtualized world.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jlp/friday011907/46/3118//IDG/EmailAddress=freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

Visit the IDG Connect IT Knowledge Base
More whitepapers. More webcasts. More research.
http://www.idgconnect.com

Man critically burned in fire started by cell phone
Hint: avoid wearing polyester pants with a nylon shirt and jacket.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9008108

No matter how many pieces you break it into, it always comes back together
Stephen Colbert explains the whole AT&T thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1Mtv9cD0I

On this day in 2038, the UNIX timestamp will break, and we'll party like it's 1970, or maybe 1901, depending on your particular implementation. In 1983, Steve Jobs announced the Apple Lisa. In 1968, Indiria Gandhi was elected Prime Minister of India. In 1953, Lucy gave birth to little Ricky on "I Love Lucy". Happy Birthday Dolly Parton (1946), Janis Joplin (1943), Minnesota Fats (1913), Edgar Allan Poe (1809), and James Watt (1736). RIP Wilson Pickett (d.2006).

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
  - Thomas Jefferson

</FRIDAY>

IDG Connect is a service of IDG Communications, Inc. - the world's leading technology media and event company. IDG Communications publishes a variety of technology-specific magazines, newspapers, and web sites including CIO, CSO, Computerworld, GamePro, InfoWorld, Macworld, Network World, and PC World. We are also a leading producer of technology-related events including LinuxWorld Conference & Expo, Macworld Conference & Expo, and DEMO.

When you applied for, or renewed a subscription to one of our magazines or newspapers, registered as a user at one of our web-sites, subscribed to one of our email newsletters, or registered as an attendee at one of our trade shows/events, you became eligible to receive e-mail from IDG Connect. For more information, read the IDG Privacy Statement at http://www.idgconnect.com/privacypolicy/