What is the best supported Wireless card?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Wed Jan 3 22:02:03 PST 2007

At 10:09 PM 1/3/2007, Sunnz wrote:

>I am looking to build a new desktop which is going to have wireless
>access through my router.
>
>I have been using Atheros's chipset with the ath drivers, yes it works...
>
>But after read this article: http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/293
>
>I begin to think if there are better vendors out there?
>
> From the article it seems that Ralink and Atmel are the most
>co-operative vendors to open source communities...
>
>So how good do you think they are?

The best for 802.11b (not g, alas) is undoubtedly the Intersil
Prism 2.5 and kin. This is in large measure because the chipset
contains a lot of embedded intelligence. The load on the host
CPU is therefore very light and there's less opportunity for
coding mistakes in the host driver. And the embedded firmware
is now as about error-free as any wireless code is going to get.
Atmel's 802.11b chipsets use the Intersil Prism, by the way.

--Brett