Coincidence

Daniel A. alive at dienub.org
Fri Feb 2 17:22:24 UTC 2007

Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <20070202150548.GS12602 at over-yonder.net>, "Matthew D. Fuller"
> writes
> :
>> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:35:16AM -0800 I heard the voice of
>> Cy Schubert, and lo! it spake thus:
>>> The one drive in front of me has a manufacture date of 21APR2001.
>>> That's a long life for a disk drive. May both drives rest in peace.
>> ACK!
>>
>> Please don't say that where my ~10 year old drives can hear you   :(
>
> I do have a full height 9 GB Seagate SCSI in a P150-S which is ~10-12 years
> old and still spinning (and still sounding like a jet engine). Good genes,
> I guess.
>
> All my other drives are spinning at half speed in respect for the two which
> have passed on.

(Sorry, forgot to CC)
On the note of dying hard drives, I come to think of one particular
drive that I'm using in my server right now.

It's a 120GB Maxtor drive. Not old, but this story is worh it.
One day, my server had crashed on me. I had a faulty CPU at that time.
When I tried to turn my server back on, the machine just hung, and the
drive was saying little "click click click click" noises. "Oh no!", I
thought to myself, "All my PORN!?" Could it really be that I had been
subjected to the click of death?
In despair, I turned off the box, and let it stay powered off in my
closet for a whole, full week.

So, I came back from work one night, and decided to check if the drive
was really dead. I turned on the box, and it booted! All my files were
in place, no damages had happened. The drive has been working flawlessly
ever since, except now I use a seagate as my main system disk, and the
Maxtor as /home.