Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Dec 19 04:18:39 PST 2007

These days they do things a bit differently, but the money flow is
the same.  Partly to answer David but as folks are interested, here's
how it works.

As of Windows XP, MS ceased adding in new root certificates into the
certificate store they distributed with the web browsers.  The existing
roots, Verisign and the like, were undoubtedly scammed millions during
the height of the dot-com boom, -directly- from MS.

Today, the money still goes to Microsoft, but MS hides it a little
better.  What happens today is as follows:

1) A root certificate authority wants to
insert it's public key into Internet Explorer.  They submit the
key to Microsoft which distributes it to all the Windows Update
Servers.

2) When IE hits a SSL site with a certificate signed by the new
root, (or singned by an old root with a new certificate) if it
 lacks the root public key it silently contacts a
windows update server and checks if a key for that CA is available,
if so it downloads and installs it without informing the user.

This process is documented here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/security/news/rootcert.mspx?mfr=tru

This is how Microsoft distributes root keys.  Now, the question is,
how does the root CA go about getting it's key into the Windows
Update Servers and what do they have to pay?  It turns out, quite
a bit.

ON that page, MS lists the requirements for the root CA.  Primary
among them is:

"...Engage a licensed auditor of the WebTrust for CAs program and
complete that process..."

3) WebTrust (http://www.webtrust.org/) is jointly developed by the
AICPA and the CICA as part of SysTrust.  You can get their standard
cheaply enough.  The rub is buried in the standard:

"...The entity's confidentiality and security performance is
periodically reviewed and compared with the defined confidentiality
and related security policies..."

In short, the world's Certificate Authorities must undergo audits
every 6 to 12 months by a provider that is certified under Webtrust
by the AICPA/CICA.  These are not cheap and pricing isn't easily
available - but I did find a comment in an old 2001 article that
stated they can run upwards of a quarter million dollars for a
large enterprise (like a CA) PER AUDIT.

Of course, that's money that is paid to the CPA firm doing the
audit - not directly to Microsoft - but, we aren't done with the
money chain yet.

4) AICPA defines CPA's that are experienced with doing WebTrust
audits as Certified Information Technology Professionals (CITP).
Where are these people?  It turns out that most of them are
working at firms that sell and install and integrate accounting
software solutions, which is about what you would expect.

5) Now, what is the most popular software package that these
accounting firms recommend to their clients?  Is it Navision?
Solomon?  Great Plains?  Well, as a matter of fact, yes.  All
those were acquired by Microsoft years ago and are now part of
what Microsoft calls "Microsoft Dynamics"

Microsoft Dynamics is today the most sold software package for
firms large enough to require an accounting firm to install it,
the same firms that Microsoft tells the root CA's that they must
be certified by, in order to install their root CA's into the
Windows Update servers.  It is no wonder that these accounting
CPA firms recommend Microsoft Dynamics to their clients.  They
aren't out there recommending Linux accounting packages.  They
are pushing Dynamics, and the constant stream of updates to it
from Microsoft.  In exchange for all that free business Microsoft
is more than happy to throw a bone to these firms by requiring
the root CAs to submit to their periodic audits.

Security - it's a family business.

Ted