Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sat Dec 15 18:34:38 PST 2007

(note, because I went a bit off-topic, I redirected this to -chat)

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> It's a chicken and egg problem.
>
> There's nothing wrong with writing an extremely strict standard.
> The issue is the implementation.
>
> If your server implementation is so strict that most clients have
> difficulty, then users will find something else and your standard
> will end up on the dustbin.
>
> It's better to start out with a strict standard and a forgiving
> server implementation, then as it falls into mainstream use, work
> with the client developers to correct their stuff.
>
> We don't want to end up like Microsoft - which writes very lax
> and contradictory standards, then makes up strict implementations.
> Then every new release of their stuff breaks things.

Well, M$ has additional sneaky reasons for that, it's called hijacking
the standard. I personally believe they do it on purpose.  You see, they
did it for browsers, and that serves as a good example.  Their
competitors followed the standard, M$ really didn't, and since all the
Windows owners, using Windows software to create their pages, were
making pages that other browsers (at least at first) weren't able to
correctly display.  It's fairly scurrilous thing to do, especially if
the company doing it was at the same time trumpeting how much they were
supporting the standard.  I was rather pleased when M$ had all that
trouble establishing their browser as the #1 (they finally had to give
it away).

It's marketing tactics like that which cause me to react by refusing to
have anything whatsoever to do with their product.