Keyboard

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Dec 12 21:52:00 PST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I picked up the Model M I'm typing this on on eBay many years ago.  It
> certainly was well used when I got it, and it's hardly had an idle day
> since.  On the back, it lists the manufacturing date as 03-15-91.  It
> still feels and works as solid as the day it was born.
>
> There are two kinds of keyboards; buckling spring, and crap   8-}

As I said when we first unpacked the brand new IBM PCs (around
1984-ish), I'd rather have the light switches on the wall.
Push-push-push-CLICK!.  Those were the original controversial keyboards
with the reduced-size shift keys, because dammit, IBM knew what was best
for you.

Several years ago I found a bunch of Compaq keyboards, the big
rectangular kind with a heavy metal plate in them.  They don't have a
lot of wasted space around the edge, all the keys are in the right
place, they aren't tiring to use, they don't wander around, and they
were like $5 each.  I think I still have one new in a box.  Of course,
they were from before cHomPaq.