Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Tue Dec 11 12:32:35 PST 2007

At 10:01 AM 12/11/2007, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
>   "... originally released Wine under the same MIT License as the X
>   Window System, but owing to concern about proprietary versions
>   of Wine not contributing their changes back to the core project,
>   work as of March 2002 has used the LGPL"

What apparently happened is that one or two of the developers of Wine
got their knickers in a twist about the idea that -- heaven forbid! --
someone might possibly make some money for the enhancements they made
to Wine. (Never mind that the marketing and development costs for their
commercial versions of Wine were eating all of their profits, and it was
unclear whether they actually WOULD make any money.) Also, it is rumored
(though I have not seen proof of it) that John Gilmore, an underwriter of
the Wine project, threatened to withdraw support from some of these
developers unless the license was switched to the GPL, thus forcing their
hands.

--Brett Glass