TMPFS, is it available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Aug 2 18:28:26 UTC 2007

Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
 > Is TMPFS available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?
 > Or do i have to settle for mfs?
 >
 > [venting frustration]
 > The reason i ask is i need something very flexible when it comes to
 > memory usage as a poor-mans shared-memory feature for a closed source
 > data conversion app, used only occasionally but with *alot* of data
 > passing through. By alot i mean it took our quad core xeon 3 ghz with
 > 4 gbyte memory and 4 SAS drives in 1+0 RAID, about a day and a half to
 > process (on disk).
 > Simple tests (by others) using netbsd on a single cpu 3 ghz and tmpfs,
 > it took roughly 70 minutes. Most of which was spent loading and
 > unloading the data over the network.
 > I'd really like that memory back after use for other things as this
 > server is also serving databases with files etc.

If you only need it occasionally, but not permanently,
then why don't you simply mount an MD filesystem on some
non-standard name (i.e. not /tmp) and use it, and when
you're done you simply umount it.  You get all memory
back then.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek