what can i do with a 486?

Gray, David W David.W.Gray at nielsen.com
Tue Apr 10 13:15:51 UTC 2007

As I recall, we had two emulators - one that didn't work so hot, and a
better one that was, alas
GPL'd, and therefore couldn't be built into a distribution kernel.

As to when it stopped shipping, I dunno - I know it's in 4, and I know
it isn't in 6, but I don't
have any 5. boxen left. (The laptop I couldn't get to work under 5.2+ is
now happily purring under
Ubuntu, and everything else is on 6.)

And yeah, I misremembered the overdrive chips (but, the '487 WAS NOT a
math coprocessor - it was a real
'486 + fpu, with a bond out option.)