what can i do with a 486?

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 00:52:04 UTC 2007

spellberg_robert wrote:
> take out absolutely --everything-- not related to
>   the hard_drive, the keyboard and the crt,
>   even though there are other things that are important,
>   like networking.
> if you can't get this to come up,
>   it may be time for a good scotch and some wistful memories.
>
> kill the remaining pseudo_devices.
> do you need kbdmux in the console ?

Problem is: what's that? OK, redunant, removed, period.

> ADAPTIVE_GIANT ?  PREEMPTION ?  INET ?  UFS_ACL ?  SCSI_DELAY ?
> KBD_INSTALL_CDEV ?

OK ... I don't know what these (exactly) are, but: #
Don't know if removing SCSI_DELAY will save me more than an sizeof( integer ) :)
In this case, what about FBSD3.4compat?

> you get the idea.
> once you get it working, you can always add things back, one at a time.
> when it fails, you know your limit.

It's true the other way around. When I remove something, it gives a compile time
error. These include: 'undefined reference to myfunc()', and something like
#error "Huh? ppp without INET?". Maybe removing all at once will stop their
cross references.

> i do admire your stick_to_it_iveness.
> but, remember, new two_year old technology is pretty cheap,
>   when you can find it.
>
> can't promise this will work.
> hope it helps.

HTX yo