Terry Lamber's "Mr. Bullet Mr. Foot" quote...

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sat Apr 7 04:42:43 UTC 2007

Oliver Fromme <freebsd-chat at freebsd.org, kdk at daleco.biz> wrote:

> Don't use spell checkers.  Most of the time they break the
> spelling instead of fixing it.

Spell-checkers are useful for pointing out casual typos and frequent
misspellings ("recieve", "seperate", "occured") or helping you with
those words you never manage to get right (u-b-i-q-u-i-t-o-u-s).
The problem is people who have so little confidence in their own
spelling ability that they blindly trust the program.

I've never bothered with spell-checkers either, but now that Firefox
has sort of forced one on me, I don't mind it.  Now, if we could
automagically switch to the correct language...

> Personally I prefer to spend half a minute reading again through
> what I wrote before sending it.

Yes, but that suffers from the effect that you probably read what
you wanted to write, not necessarily what's actually on the page.
Happens to me all the time.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de