The future of NetBSD

rouk ounas roukounas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 13:42:27 PDT 2006

On 9/1/06, Gilbert Fernandes <gilboooo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a dream.
>
> A dream of unification.
>
> Having one BSD. Merging the three projects and, why not, keeping
> incompatible stuff as options that would be either one or another.
>
> But when you tell yourself that it cannot be done, you don't even
> try it.
>
> It would require people to not only do it for the sake of their projects,
> but for the whole BSD people. Even those who really piss you off in
> other projects.
>
> Because someday, those projects will live on without us. We'll pass on
> like everyone.
>
> Am I alone thinking this ?

I would disagree with that. Is not unification we need, it is unity.

Instead of speaking about the [Net, Open, Free, DragonFly]BSD
community, we should be talking about the BSD community as a whole.

I'm using Free, but when Open asks vendors to give driver docs, and
when Net is spiralling down, it should be a problem for all the BSDs.

Like bsdstats.org is considering, they are all bsd.