The future of NetBSD

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Fri Sep 1 07:01:57 UTC 2006

Rahul Siddharthan:
> On FreeBSD with UFS, more than once a crash totally
> hosed my system: I had to reinstall. People blamed it
> on ATA write-caching: the standard FreeBSD advice is
> "use SCSI".  With linux/ext3 I've NEVER had a problem

Don't know whether it's really ATA write-caching, but my
home workstation with SCSI drive never had a single case
of corrupted FS (and I crash it a lot), when other ATA-based
computers sometimes get 'unexpected soft updates inconsistency',
and it's really killing the whole FS. Slowly (but sometimes
instantly) and surely.

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2