KMail to mbox

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Thu May 4 05:01:16 UTC 2006

> > The complication is that the filthy KMail saves message flags in
> > some 'index' files (instead of in message headers). All I want to
> > do really is to convert these into any standard format, such as
> > mbox (what's evil about it, BTW?) for use with some normal mail
> > client (Sylpheed probably).
>
> Message flags? What do you mean by this? As in if it has been read or
> not?

yes, status flags like 'read', 'replied', 'important', etc

> If that is the case, there is no actual method outside of
> maildir for this. In maildir a message is new if it has is in the new
> directory. Upon reading it should be moved to the cur directory.

what about 'Status: ' and 'X-Status: ' in headers?

> Mbox is fine till it starts getting large. It is easily corrupted. It
> requires locking and the like. More than one program can not safely
> access it. MH solves these a bit, but maildir fixes them completely.

never had a problem with this; after all, I always use only single
mail client at one time, so it seems that maildir won't be of any
advantage in my case -- on the contrary, filling the FS with extra
10000 files won't do any good.

[...]
> You may not notice how nice maildir till you admin your first mail
> server. This is especially true if you have dialup customers and are
> using sendmail. If you are using webmail you are even more screwed
> with mbox.

thanx for the info, but I prefer Postfix ;)

Timestamp: 0x44598856
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/
ridin' VN1500-B2