The future of NetBSD

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 31 15:44:06 UTC 2006

Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Thorsten Glaser <tg at mirbsd.de> wrote:
>
>> BSD is about an operating system, not about a kernel.
>
> Bingo. Good point. This point is lost sometimes.
>
> I believe NetBSD has the proper philosophy in regards to the entire OS
> as well. I don't want apache built in, for instance.

This is a silly definition (imho) which I first heard Stallman use, but
seems to be spreading.
Every book on operating systems that I own, or have read, defines an
operating system as the kernel. Different applications, including even
shells, are not the operating system.

But that's just my opinion, of course. But most of all, I don't see the
relevance of bringing the discussion down to a hair-splitting of what an
operating system is.

	Johnny