The future of NetBSD

dereck dereckhaskins at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 14:23:23 UTC 2006

> I'm just a lurker on the OpenBSD list, but I think
> Charles is right about
> Linux. The code is better then people give it credit
> for, and considering
> it's vast popularity and what all it's accomplished,
> the "bazaar" model has
> worked wonders.

Well, the hype certainly put the zap on your head.
"Wonders"?  So, if I take a picture of a van Gogh
painting, copy it as poorly as a three-year-old child,
put an OSI license on it and call it "open van Gogh"
that would be wonderous?

They are copying known work, shooting for a target
that has already been hit.  Ignore IBM's and ESR's
hype.  Linux is a rather poor re-implementation. The
BS is the only thing that is "accomplished," unless
you count the illusions of grandeur as well.

What I'd _really_ like to hear is the status of the
total "move-over" to Linux that IBM announced (what
was it?) 3 freakin years ago?  How is that coming, old
Big Bloser?