The future of NetBSD

Breen Ouellette openbsdmisc at breeno.net
Thu Aug 31 02:23:02 UTC 2006

Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> [I'm CCing this to FreeBSD and OpenBSD lists in order to share it with
> the wider *BSD community, not to start a flame war.  I hope that people
> reading it have the tact to be respectful of their peers, and consider
> how some of these issues may apply to them as well.]

This is completely irrelevant to OpenBSD, except in that it seems to
vindicate Theo de Raadt for the crap he went through when he was ousted
from the NetBSD project. What possessed you to post this to an OpenBSD list?

Now, thanks to the cross posting, the misc at openbsd.org list gets to
endure a bunch of cross posts from NetBSD users and FreeBSD users on
topics which are completely outside the scope of this list. Great.

If you don't like the direction (or lack of it) that the NetBSD project
is taking, and since your post indirectly talks up nearly every aspect
of OpenBSD that Theo implemented to escape the problems he encountered
with NetBSD, while simultaneously talking down a lot of the politics
within NetBSD that Theo has complained about, maybe you need to take
your reasoning one step further and follow Theo's lead - fork NetBSD.
Whining on *BSD lists is not going to get you where you want to go. You
might as well pray to a god to send NetBSD a messiah. If you want a
leader then be a leader.

I could go on, but then I am just exacerbating the problem. This really
isn't relevant to OpenBSD, and I urge other lists' users to consider
whether CCing your reply back to misc at openbsd.org is relevant. Thanks in
advance for your consideration.

Breen Ouellette