portable audio player >= 18Gb

Daniel A. alive at dienub.org
Tue Aug 29 05:10:57 UTC 2006

soralx at cydem.org wrote:
> is anyone feeling kind enough today to recommend a good mp3/ogg player? ;)
> The basic requirement is that it should be just a standard umass device,
> so I could upload dirs with music files onto it, and then simply tell the
> device to play all files in a certain directory, or make some playlists
> and play them sequentially. None of that "synchronization" or id3-database
> crap.
> AFAIK, the only player that has more or less usable interface (the way I
> described) is the Cowon, model X5L. However, it'd be interesting to know
> if there are (or will be soon) any alternatives. Also, this player is not
> available locally, so I'd appreciate if someone who used it for a while
> could tell if they found anything bad about the device.
>
> [SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2

An iPod with RockBox firmware does a really nice job, and it is exactly
how you described it:
- A umass device
- Interface has a "file browser" where you can select which folder/file
to play
- id3-database is highly optional, and far from default.
- RockBox is Open-Source.

Besides, RockBox supports not just ogg and mp3, but also FLAC, and some
others - I forget.

If you dont like iPods, then you can buy an Archos or iRivier portable
player. Anyway, just check their website - rockbox.org